Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Distractions

Hello again,
 Today I'm going to talk a little bit about distractions. Being a student and working full time I find it really hard to be able to sit down and focus on my craft when I have school and regular work in the same day. I know it comes easy to many but it's just not the case with me. I have to have a virtually silent environment with the exception of music I choose.  Lately it seems no one in my house can settle down and be silent enough for me to focus and it's driving me insane. So like many others I spend time screwing off online.
 Two of the biggest distractions  that come into play are social media and Netflix  You don't really realize how much time you spend on these sites until you realize you haven't gotten anything done. It's almost a compulsion sometimes to check the social media sites multiple times a day for new content. Knowing I do this now I am going to start a new approach to things and try to get my household on a schedule. Two hours every day where no one can talk, inbox, tweet, or text me. We shall see if this works. Then maybe I can sleep again since the only time I can write is when they're asleep. LOL
I'll keep you all posted on how this works out.

 Do any of you have certain conditions you work best under? Things that push you off focus? let me know and leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Discipline! Yes we can do it, limit ourselves to a block of time and then get on with it. Social media and all sorts of internet sites are interesting, and distracting, and suck countless minutes, hours, out of your day. Wishing you success! Let us know how it work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alyssandra,

    Well, I get sucked into the Facebook pit too, especially since I have the app on my phone! LOL So I've decided to maybe do a post or two a day and that's it. Time does go by very fast when that happens.

    Now for me, I really don't like being stuck in the house much, so I'll go over my mother and sister house a few times a week, because I can work over there. They'll start laughing and cracking up and yes I get distracted sometimes. There are other times when I ignore them a little and they start teasing me. Oh, she's WORKINg. LOL Those two birds were supposed to have been writing books and pubbing them, but nooooo they got their minds on Young and The Restless and what's going on with Victor and his company. Seriously. There are other times when I'm glad to stay home, do some housework, and get my writing done.

    Discipline is definitely the key though. You'll do well, it's just a matter of setting some boundaries, that's all. For me I tell myself no messing around on FB until I get some other things taken care of. I enjoy socializing with you ladies on there, so it's a treat.

    Hugs Chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charisma! good to know it's not just me who goes though this. I'm hoping I can keep my eyes on the prize, thanks for the support. :) *hugs*

      Delete